I've been having internal conflicts with if, when, how, why to wean Landyn off of her pacifier. I've known that babies can soothe themselves after 4 months, but why-when the paci works soooo well!!! We started just giving it to her in her crib and car seat and then found ourselves giving her the little piece of silicone magic when she was tired or fussy more than just at home. We have several friends whose children had pacifiers for a while and Kris and I were really sort of okay with that for Landyn - although secretly and deeply I would love for her to just "go down" on her own.
Landyn's Aunt Dia (Andrea) came over and she injected me with courage and strength to go through a crying fit without it.
So this morning when she went down for her first nap I put her in her crib without her "soother" and patted her bottom until her eyes closed...NO SCREAMING at all occurred and she went right to sleep - for 2 hours!!!! So at this point I was so happy and proud of Landyn!! I knew it was God giving me a sense of peace to know she was ABLE to sleep without her paci.
Nap number 2 came around and that was haaaard!!!! Had the first nap not been so easy, I would have given in, but I didn't! I stayed strong for an hour of crying, screaming hell with tears in my eyes and prayers flowing from my lips :( It was pitiful!!!
But she did it again!!! And took a 2.5 hour nap!! So... my strength is increasing.
Bedtime (which Landyn is pretty good with). We wore her out at Center Court and gave her bottle to her when we got home. I put her to bed and within 10 min of rolling around and searching with her hand for her old trusty friend, she fell asleep!! NO TEARS!!!
DAY 1 is down and I hope there are zero more to go with tears.
I am so proud of Landyn and myself for getting past such a comfort item! I will keep this little paci forever and keep it as a reminder that once - she was so small :(
So here's to you, little pink, silicone, Soothie pacifier that was used by your owner from the first day she came home from the hospital :( Thank you for all of your restless nights and holding up through 6 teeth! You are a champ and we appreciated all of your "suckiness" for our precious girl!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Aw, the crying part is so, so hard. I was praying with you. There may be tough times still ahead, but you are on the right track. The paci was good for the beginning, and kept her from sucking her thumb - Yay! Now is a good time to let go.
ReplyDelete